Monday, September 28, 2009

"The Hill Upstairs"

picture taken from
www.midwayart.org

When I first entered the Midway Contemporary Art Museum I was bewildered by the idea that everything in the museum was considered art. Nothing made any sense to me. A box covered in string, a rather large steel star. What could all of this possibly mean? What could each artist have been thinking while creating such pieces? I walked through each gallery room, and could not possibly find one artwork that stood out more than the next. Each piece strayed off in my mind as utter mush and nothing else. It was not until I was about to leave that I saw the Artwork that interested me.

I looked above the front desk and saw what looked like an oddly colored water stain. I asked the woman at the desk how the water stain came to be. She explained to me that the peculiar stain was in fact carefully created by an artist. 'Who on earth would do that?' I asked myself. The artist had carefully spilled different colored pigments onto the ceiling tiles, and once he found the concept perfect, it was hung on the ceiling. I found out the artists name was Jay Heikes and the piece was called "The Hill Upstairs". When I asked the woman at the desk why the piece was named that she simply said, 'The artist had a friend who had a brain tumor, and this was his take on it.' Finally I understood.

The idea of a brain tumor is hard to relate to. But when you see this blob of intricately strewn fluids, you get an idea of a muffled, spongey object attached to a white clean space. It is collected chaos. The concept to create such a piece was well thought out and had a deep meaning. Placing it on the ceiling was edgy and made sense. When you saw the stain you got the urge to remove it from the perfect white ceiling. You wanted it to go away. In my opinion, the artist was completely successful with what he wanted us to feel, and how we should perceive the piece.

The Midway Contemporary Art Museum was certainly not my cup of tea, but I developed a great respect for the artists. I am not at all a contemporary artist, and rarely do I enjoy that sort of thing, but Midway opened my eyes to the fact that Contemporary art, is art.

1 comment:

  1. Good review of your experience and discovery. You will learn to appreciate this work more in the future. The experience you had this piece will start to repeat itself as you learn more about history and the like. Before you know it – it will all make sense.

    ReplyDelete